Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Rep. Vern Buchanan on Iraq


I recently expressed my desire to end the War in Iraq to Florida District 13 Rep. Vern Buchanan. Below is his response.

March 19, 2007


"Dear Mr. Brooks,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to President Bush's plan to send more U.S. troops to Iraq . I have serious concerns over whether this increase will lead to a successful outcome.

The President's plan includes $5.6 billion for the troop increase and more than $1 billion in new economic aid for Iraq . It also calls for better performance by the Iraqi government to control its own security.

There is no question that Iraq needs to take responsibility for the protection of its own people. And that's not happening. At this moment, there are 27 trained and equipped Iraqi battalions sitting outside of Baghdad in peaceful areas of the country. These Iraqi forces need to be moved immediately into the fight in Baghdad .

In the meantime, I will carefully weigh the President's plan to determine whether it will lead to a stable Iraq and the swift and safe return of our troops. There are legitimate questions as to whether an infusion of American troops will help stabilize Iraq . I want to know if our military commanders and veterans think an increase in troops will help Iraq resolve its internal conflict.

Thanks again for contacting me. Your opinions help me to better serve you and all the people of southwest Florida . Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office.



Sincerely,

Vern Buchanan

Member of Congress"

No comments: